Marc H. Zitomer chairs the Firm’s School Law Practice Group. He is a member of the Firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group and has served on the Firm’s Management Committee since 2014.
In his diversified practice, Marc counsels public and independent schools throughout New Jersey and the United States in all facets of school law. School trustees and administrators routinely seek his advice in complex and ever-evolving areas of law. As an experienced education law attorney, he represents schools of varying sizes and complexity.
In addition, Marc has a comprehensive employment law background and he counsels large and small companies and their executives on a variety of matters. In this capacity, he also assists management in conducting investigations into employee misconduct. Further, Marc helps draft legal documents and policies that govern the employer-employee relationship.
Marc is frequently called upon to lecture at both the State and national levels on important legal matters affecting management because of his vast depth of knowledge and experience. He conducts training sessions on numerous employment law topics, including sexual harassment in the workplace, The Americans with Disabilities Act, The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, The Family & Medical Leave Act and New Jersey’s Whistleblower Law, and conducts effective internal investigations.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2018 and 2019 "Top Lawyers" in Education
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Schools & Education
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Rising Stars® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine
- Recognized by New Jersey Law Journal in its “40 under 40” publication featuring New Jersey lawyers whose achievements and public service distinguish them among their peers (September 2004)
- Recipient, NJBIZ magazine's “Forty under 40 Award,” which recognizes the state's most dynamic business leaders who are under the age of 40 (July 2008)
- Presenter, "Mergers & Acquisitions for Independent Schools" at the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS) Trustee Enrichment Day, at the Morristown-Beard School, November 17, 2019
- Author, Choose the Right Investigator for a Sexual Harassment Complaint, New Jersey Law Journal, January 8, 2018
- Author, A Fresh Look at the Cyberbullying Landscape, School Leader, March/April 2017
- Author, Navigating the Indemnification Rapids for Board of Education Members, December 2013
- Podcast, New Jersey School Board Association, Technology's Impact on the Sunshine Law, December 9, 2011
- Podcast, New Jersey School Board Association, Board Members + Social Media Technology = Legal Landmines?, December 7, 2012
- Podcast, School Law Today – Legal Issues around Cyber-bullying
- Co-Author, “To Discipline or Not to Discipline: How Far May School Officials Go In Punishing Off-Campus Student or Faculty Misconduct,” School Leader, January/February 2011
- Co-Author, “The Basics of the Recall Process: Board Members May Not Be Aware They Can Be Recalled By a Public Vote. Here’s How it Works,” School Leader, July/August 2009
- Marc Zitomer gets straight A’s from his school district clients, August 2006
- Contributing Author, Shocking Violence II: Violent Disaster, War & Terrorism Affecting Our Youth, Charles C. Thomas Publisher, LTD (2003)
- Contributing Author, New Jersey Educators’ Legal Handbook, by N. Celso, Esq., Omni Publishers, Inc. (1999)
- Lectures statewide on various topics affecting public and private school districts
- Lectures statewide and conducts training sessions on numerous employment law topics including:sexual harassment in the workplace, The Americans with Disabilities Act, The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, The Family & Medical Leave Act, New Jersey’s Whistleblower Law and Conducting effective internal investigations
- Former Trustee, New Jersey Association of School Attorneys
- Investigator, District XA Ethics Committee (Morris/Sussex) (2007-2010)
- Guest Instructor, St. Elizabeth’s College (Morristown, New Jersey), for school administrators who are doctoral degree candidates
- Guest Lecturer, Ceceilyn Miller Institute for Leadership & Diversity in America
- Regularly appears before the Department of Education, the Public Employment Relations Commission, the Office of Administrative Law, the American Arbitration Association, Division of Civil Rights, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission