Robert B. McBriar represents numerous public and private clients in a variety of legal areas including Insurance Defense, Government Law, Property Taxation and Land Use.
As part of the Insurance Defense Group, Robert assists in handling all aspects of insurance defense litigation from initial case evaluation and strategy through trial. He is experienced in defending public entities and officials in litigation involving professional liability and property/casualty coverage.
Robert regularly counsels public entities regarding legislation, regulation and general administration. In addition, he assists with substantive legal issues involving public contracts, elections, OPMA, OPRA, code enforcement, land use, eminent domain, redevelopment and property taxation.
Robert frequently appears before the New Jersey State Tax Courts and County Tax Boards on behalf of taxing districts and property owners in defending and litigating real property tax appeals.
- Mar 2, 2021Unprecedented Economic Impacts Caused by COVID-19 Present Limited Window for Commercial Property Owners to Reduce Real Property Tax Liability
- Jan 27, 2020Property Tax Deduction for Veterans Extended to Continuing Care Retirement Communities
- Mar 9, 2015April 1, 2015 Deadline - Filing Real Property Tax Appeals
- Feb 19, 2014April 1, 2014 Deadline Approaching for Filing Real Property Tax Appeals
- Jun 23, 2022Schenck Price Welcomes New York Law School Alumni Association
- Mar 4, 2021Tax Appeal Deadline Approaching
- Jul 13, 2017Sussex County Bar Association
- May 19, 2015SPSK Attorney Receives Award
- Dec 2, 2014The Emerging Challenge to Non-Profit Real Property Tax Exemption
- Aug 11, 2014Three SPSK Attorneys Named New Leaders of the Bar
- Chosen Young Business Leader of the Year 2015 by the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce
- Recognized as one of the New Jersey Law Journal's 2014 "New Leaders of the Bar"
- Author, "Unprecedented Economic Impacts Caused by COVID-19 Present Limited Window for Commercial Property Owners to Reduce Real Property Tax Liability," March 2, 2021
- Author, "Property Tax Deduction for Veterans Extended to Continuing Care Retirement Communities," January 27, 2020
- Contributing author, December 2017 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Panelist, 2014 seminar entitled, "The Emerging Challenge to Non-Profit Real Property Tax Exemption."
- Jones v. Solitude House Museum, et al., New Jersey Law Journal, Verdict Search - August 16, 2012.
- Former President, Sussex County Bar Association
- Member, District XB Ethics Committee
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Warren County Bar Association
- Trustee, 200 Club of Sussex County
- Member, New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- Member, Sussex County Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteer, Legal Services of Northwest New Jersey
- Successfully represented New Jersey municipality in complex premises liability action. All claims against municipality were dismissed on summary judgment pursuant to the immunities set forth in the New Jersey Tort Claims Act.
- Successfully represented New Jersey municipality, its land use board and zoning officer in defense of prerogative writ action. After trial, the Court affirmed the decision of the land use board thereby upholding the grant of variance relief which ended a six year long dispute.
- Successfully represented New Jersey municipality and records custodian in Law Division action brought under the Open Public Records Act. Claimant’s case, seeking attorney’s fees in excess of $15,000 was dismissed on summary judgment.