John E. Ursin is a rare corporate attorney, who has expertise in a wide range of legal specialties, including extensive first chair litigation experience. He provides value added, business focused and efficient representation as general counsel to corporations, small business, local government entities and non-profit organizations, including health care and senior living entities, as well as family offices.
John’s transactional practice includes substantial commercial real estate, development, middle market mergers and acquisitions, and financing. He has represented some of the largest employers in Northwest New Jersey and has provided land use/redevelopment and financing guidance on some of the largest projects in the area and to client’s interests regionally and nationally.
John leads a deal team that handles a wide range of mergers and acquisitions and financings, including private equity, peer-to-peer and succession transactions. These transactions range from local sole proprietors to significant corporate assets in New Jersey and nationally. In recent years alone, John has handled transactions totaling hundreds of millions of dollars.
It is unusual for an attorney with John’s corporate experience and practice to also have experience in litigated matters. Yet John has been first chair on litigation representing individuals, companies and public entities in cases that involve premises liability, employment practices, director & officer issues, property issues, bidding and contractual disputes, and education issues. He has tried cases in these areas to verdicts, both in jury and bench trials. He continues to have an active insurance litigation practice, which includes defense and coverage. John represents local and regional banks and other financial institutions in litigation, foreclosure, commercial restructuring and workouts.
This diverse practice allows John to counsel businesses with a unique depth of confidence and conviction. Few attorneys who represent businesses can counsel their clients on employment, property, insurance and financing issues based upon their own litigation and trial experience. This experience also allows John to deeply understand risk management issues in transactions that relate to operational or litigation issues. He also has the advantage of a background in biochemistry, which allows him to be particularly adept at counseling companies in scientific and technology fields.
John is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Practice, Insurance Defense, and Banking and Finance Practice Groups. He chairs Schenck Price’s Government Law Practice Group, and the Firm's Land Use and Redevelopment Practice Group.
John counsels municipalities, school boards and other public entities and has extensive experience with administrative, governance and legislative aspects of government, including OPMA, OPRA and elections. He advises clients on redevelopment, highlands issues, plan conformance, COAH and water and sewer utilities. He is also involved with contractual disputes, union negotiations, employee discipline, civil service and PERC issues.
John’s clients include multiple family offices, private equity entities, real estate developers, health care and senior living facilities, manufacturers, material suppliers, sports-related businesses, insurance companies, banks and government entities.
John is a member of Schenck Price's Management Committee.
- Jul 24, 2020CMS Announces Significant COVID-19 Initiatives for Nursing Homes
- May 18, 2020The PANDEMIC: Today's Tragedy, Tomorrow's Liability
- Mar 31, 2020Financial Relief for Nonprofits under the CARES Act
- May 15, 2019Governor Signs Bill Eliminating Statute of Limitations, Expanding Passive Abuser Liability and Reviving Expired Claims Under the Child Sexual Abuse Act, N.J.S.A. § 2A:61B-1, et seq.
- Jul 25, 2022High Level of Deal-Making in First Half of 2022
- Jun 29, 2022Schenck Price Partner Assists Birth Haven Inc. with a Prestigious $100,000 Grant from a New Jersey Group
- Jul 24, 2020New Jersey Supreme Court Rejects Municipal Assessment for Dam Repairs
- Jun 16, 2020Appellate Win for Cranford in Complex Discrimination Case
- Mar 13, 20202020 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers
- May 8, 2018Three-Week Trial Ends in Victory for Municipality
- Top 40 Attorneys Under 40 by New Jersey Law Journal 2007*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of State/Local/Municipal Law*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Author, "Buyer Beware - Of Easements," Schenck Price Legal Updates for Businesses, September 2022
- Presenter, "3 Ways to Protect Your Client's Greatest Asset," 2020 International DI Conference, October 20, 2020
- Webside moderator, "The PANDEMIC: Today's Tragedy, Tomorrow's Liability," May 18, 2020
- Contributing author, June 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Author, Financial Relief for Nonprofits under the CARES Act
- Contributing author, December 2017 Legal Updates for Businesses
- President, Pope John High School’s Endowment Board
- Chairman of the Board, Birth Haven
- Past Member, Board of Directors and General Counsel, Project Self-Sufficiency
- Past President of Sussex County Bar Association
- Past Chairman of the District X Fee Arbitration Committee
- Former Co-Chairman of the Perona Farm’s Sussex County Game Dinner Committee
- Chairman, Finance Committee, Good Shepherd Church
- Achieved three jury trial victories in two years, including two in employment discrimination/New Jersey Law Against Discrimination lawsuits
- Represented a large multi-national corporate client in the acquisition of real estate for a new corporate headquarters, including all land use approvals and the resolution of significant utility issue saving the client in excess of two million dollars in municipal fees
- Represented a multi-national corporation in the purchase of a New Jersey company with a complex financing structure and significant environmental issues
- Represented a technology manufacturing company in a multi-national distribution agreement addressing all of the Intellectual Property issues
- Represented a start up company in a private stock placement
- Counseled one of New Jersey’s largest landowners on purchases, corporate structure governance and preservation efforts
- Represented a regional bank in complex workouts, including related litigation and sale
- Represented local government in two of the largest and most complex tax appeals in northwest New Jersey involving a ski area and a quarry