Prior to re-joining Schenck Price, John Allen served as Chief of Staff for the City of Hoboken under Mayors Dawn Zimmer and Ravi Bhalla. As Chief of Staff, John was responsible for the management of all aspects of municipal government, including economic development, emergency services, redevelopment, legal affairs, and labor negotiations. Serving as a strategic advisor to two of New Jersey's more prominent mayors, John has developed an extensive network of contacts in both public and private sectors throughout the State. John continues to work for the City of Hoboken in the Office of Corporation Counsel where he previously served as Alcohol Beverage Control Commission board attorney.
John was previously affiliated with the firm until 2017 when he joined the Zimmer administration in Hoboken. He now focuses his legal practice on land use, redevelopment, employment law, liquor licensing, governmental affairs, and municipal litigation. This experience has provided a unique opportunity for John to partner with his clients as they navigate complex projects and to provide prudent counsel to achieve client goals.
John also serves on a number of public bodies including as Commissioner for the Hudson County Planning Board and Commissioner for the Garden State Joint Insurance Fund. In addition, John sits on the board of directors of Easter Seals New Jersey, one of the State's oldest and largest charities empowering individuals with disabilities, and of the Citizen's Campaign, a non-profit dedicated to encouraging civic engagement through education.
- Selected as a "New Leaders of the Bar," The New Jersey Law Journal, 2020*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Author, Formulaic Resolutions to Go into Closed Session and Vague Minutes May Violate the Requirements of the Open Public Meetings Act
- Author, Appellate Court Expands Requirements for Issuance of Rice Notices
- Contributiong author of "Ethical Considerations for Attorney Maketing" published by New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, April 2013
- Speaker, Brennan Vanderbilt Inn of Court's continuting legal education program on Civil Motion Practice in New Jersey Superior Court, March 2016
- Board of Directors, Easterseals New Jersey
- Member, New Jersey Stare Bar Association
- Member, Brennan Vanderbilt Inn of Court