Jason A. Rubin is Co-Chair of Schenck Price’s Commercial Real Estate practice group. Jason has closed sales, acquisitions, leasing and financing transactions involving virtually every type of commercial property for clients ranging from commercial real estate owners and developers with vast portfolios of properties to small business owners leasing their first office unit or retail space. This extensive and versatile transactional experience combined with Jason’s practical, business-savvy approach has allowed him to develop a flexible and comprehensive practice uniquely equipped to deliver results regardless of the business fundamentals of the client or nature and scope of the project.
In addition to his individual skill set, Jason works closely with the Firm’s other attorneys in related disciplines of the law to resolve the inevitable challenges that arise during the course of a typical real estate transaction in areas such as tax, land use and zoning, landlord-tenant, foreclosure and construction. Accessing these in-house resources allows Jason’s clients to receive the full benefit of Schenck Price’s talented attorneys in a wide range of practice areas, while maintaining one trusted point of contact throughout the entire life cycle of the transaction.
Beyond the resources available to Jason within Schenck Price, he has developed a vast network of bankers, real estate brokers, mortgage brokers, accountants, surveyors, engineers and other professionals that he regularly collaborates with before, during and after completion of the transaction to help his clients achieve their overall business objectives. Even in situations where immediate legal assistance is not required, Jason regularly connects his clients (and potential new clients) with real estate professionals in these other related fields to assist with the various challenges that are regularly presented to real estate owners, investors and operators.
Areas of Expertise:
- Sales and Acquisitions – Office, industrial, retail, multi-family and mixed-use properties.
- Leasing – Representing landlords and tenants.
- Financing – Acquisition, refinance and construction loans
- Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 “Like-Kind” Exchanges
- Entity structuring and formation to facilitate the development, ownership or management of real estate
Prior to beginning his practice of law, Jason was a real estate broker with a commercial real estate and brokerage firm and specialized in tenant representation and retail leasing.
- Jul 25, 2022High Level of Deal-Making in First Half of 2022
- March 25, 2022Purchase of Industrial Warehouse
- Jan 18, 2021Jason Rubin, Commercial Real Estate Attorney, Named Partner
- May 18, 2018120,000+ Square Feet Commercial Building Closing
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2018 "Top Lawyers" in Real Estate*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Rising Stars® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Real Estate law
- Contributing author, September 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Author, The Main Street Lending Program Offers Additional Assistance to Small and Mid-Size Businesses
- Contributing author, December 2017 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Jason has represented:
- The purchaser of a 14-acre property with three industrial buildings totaling 127,700 square feet with the entire site being leased back to the seller
- The seller of a portfolio of multi-family apartment buildings with over 350 units located in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- A manufacturing and distribution company in purchasing a 30,000 square foot flex building for its new corporate headquarters and assisted in leasing out excess space to two new tenants
- One of the largest healthcare providers in New Jersey with the purchase of an 8-acre property with a 97,350 square foot medical office building
- A corporation based in Turkey with the leasing of a corporate office in New Jersey and the purchase of a 25,000 square foot warehouse and distribution property in Pennsylvania
- The seller of a fully leased, 13-acre, 130,000 square foot grocery store-anchored shopping center
- The seller of a 60,000 square foot self-storage facility to a national company and assisted client in using the sale proceeds to complete a 1031 exchange into a FedEx distribution facility in Kentucky
- A major regional bank in the leasing and fit-out for its new corporate headquarters
- The purchaser of three triple net retail properties located in New Jersey, Florida and Illinois
- The seller of a retail strip center in New Jersey and assisted client in using the sale proceeds to complete a 1031 exchange into two triple net retail properties located in Florida and Texas
- Borrowers in two separate CMBS loans secured by triple net credit-rated retail properties located in Ohio and multi-family apartment buildings in New Jersey
- A regional real estate investment company in the acquisition of a multi-building office complex with the leaseback of two floors in one of the buildings to the seller
- A start-up technology company in the leasing of office space for its initial corporate headquarters
- A regional real estate developer with the simultaneous negotiation of leases with a cellular communications company for rooftop and on-site towers for multiple properties in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- A 501(c)(3) company in the leasing of excess space in their owner-occupied office building
- The seller of a 70,000 square foot commercial building in New York
- A pharmaceutical company in the purchase of a 9-acre property with a 50,000 square foot industrial building in Pennsylvania for use as a new distribution facility