James A. Kassis joined Schenck Price in 2001 after serving a year-long judicial clerkship with the Honorable Howard H. Kestin in New Jersey Superior Court’s Appellate Division. A partner at the Firm since 2010, Jim is a former member of the Firm's Management Committee. Jim is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney, a designation granted to attorneys who have demonstrated sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge and skills in civil trial practice. He has conducted jury and bench trials in New Jersey and bench trials in New York state courts. Jim’s current practice is focused on various forms of civil litigation, and primarily on complex commercial litigation and trial work.
Jim's civil litigation experience incorporates business disputes, complex commercial litigation, retail banking litigation, public entity litigation, product liability litigation, toxic tort litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage litigation and personal injury matters.
Jim represents national and regional banks in complex commercial litigation matters. In a recent personal injury case, Jim obtained a jury verdict in the amount of $1.5 million on behalf of an assistant golf pro who was severely injured in 2006 when he fell and struck his neck on the wooden perimeter of a sand trap at a country club located in Sussex County, NJ.
His additional litigation experience includes general and business litigation, including appellate practice experience in civil cases.
Jim's public entity defense background encompasses defense of public officials and public entities for alleged civil rights violations. He also represents large and small retail banks arising out of fraudulent activities involving individual and corporate customer accounts.
Prior to attending law school, Jim interned for the Somerset County Defender’s Office and served as a law clerk with the New York law firm of Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP. As a member of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal in law school, he authored an article on the efficacy of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney since 2012
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Rising Stars® * list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine in the field of General Litigation
- Selected to the 2013 through 2020 New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine in the field of General Litigation
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2019 and 2020 "Top Lawyers" in Banking & Financial
- Co-Author, “Using Staff Counsel to Represent Insureds,” New Jersey Law Journal, Vol. CXC, No. 9, November 26, 2007
- Author, “Analysis of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995,” 25 Seton Hall LEGIS.J. 119 (2001)
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (2011)
- Member, New Jersey Association for Justice (2015)
- Member, Morris County Bar Association (2011)
- Former Board Member and Trustee, Family Promise, a not-for-profit emergency shelter for homeless families (Morristown, NJ)
- Represents clients in various federal and state court matters in New York and New Jersey involving commercial litigation, appellate practice, insurance coverage, insurance defense litigation and personal injury