James A. Kassis joined Schenck Price in 2001 after serving a year-long judicial clerkship with the Honorable Howard H. Kestin in New Jersey Superior Court’s Appellate Division. A partner at the Firm since 2010, Jim is a former member of the Firm's Management Committee. Jim is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney, a designation granted to attorneys who have demonstrated sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge and skills in civil trial practice. He has conducted jury and bench trials in New Jersey and bench trials in New York state courts. Jim’s current practice is focused on various forms of civil litigation, and primarily on complex commercial litigation and trial work.
Jim's civil litigation experience incorporates business disputes, complex commercial litigation, retail banking litigation, public entity litigation, product liability litigation, toxic tort litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage litigation and personal injury matters.
Jim represents national and regional banks in complex commercial litigation matters. In a recent personal injury case, Jim obtained a jury verdict in the amount of $1.5 million on behalf of an assistant golf pro who was severely injured in 2006 when he fell and struck his neck on the wooden perimeter of a sand trap at a country club located in Sussex County, NJ.
His additional litigation experience includes general and business litigation, including appellate practice experience in civil cases.
Jim's public entity defense background encompasses defense of public officials and public entities for alleged civil rights violations. He also represents large and small retail banks arising out of fraudulent activities involving individual and corporate customer accounts.
Prior to attending law school, Jim interned for the Somerset County Defender’s Office and served as a law clerk with the New York law firm of Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP. As a member of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal in law school, he authored an article on the efficacy of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
- Mar 5, 2013Review of Real Property Tax Assessments Following Hurricane Sandy
- Feb 21, 2013Most Hurricane Sandy Flood Payouts Paid on a Depreciated Basis
- Jan 7, 2013Prompt Disposition of Claims
- Jan 6, 2013Adjustment of First-Party Claims Post-Sandy
- Jan 4, 2013Concurrent Causation - Efficient Proximate Cause
- Jan 3, 2013Business Interruption
- Jan 2, 2013Hurricane Sandy - Deductibles
- Jan 1, 2013Mold Claims
- Jun 23, 2022Morris/Essex Health & Life Publishes List of "Morris County Top Lawyers 2022"
- Mar 17, 20222022 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 34 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Jun 8, 2021Morris County Top Lawyers 2021
- March 23, 20212021 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 32 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Dec 18, 2020Appeals Court Orders New Trial in Personal Injury Lawsuit
- Jul 6, 2020"Morris County Top Lawyers 2020"
- Mar 13, 20202020 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Mar 9, 2012Jury Awards $1.5 Million to Man Severely Injured on Golf Course
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney since 2012
- Selected to the 2013 through 2022 New Jersey Super Lawyers®* list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine in the field of General Litigation
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Rising Stars®* list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine in the field of General Litigation
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2022 "Top Lawyers" in Civil Law Litigtion*
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2019, 2020 and 2021 "Top Lawyers" in Banking & Financial*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Co-Author, “Using Staff Counsel to Represent Insureds,” New Jersey Law Journal, Vol. CXC, No. 9, November 26, 2007
- Author, “Analysis of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995,” 25 Seton Hall LEGIS.J. 119 (2001)
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (2011)
- Member, New Jersey Association for Justice (2015)
- Member, Morris County Bar Association (2011)
- Former Board Member and Trustee, Family Promise, a not-for-profit emergency shelter for homeless families (Morristown, NJ)
- Represents clients in various federal and state court matters in New York and New Jersey involving commercial litigation, appellate practice, insurance coverage, insurance defense litigation and personal injury