Gary F. Werner is Schenck Price's Managing Partner. He also Chairs the Firm's Management Committee.
Gary has more than three decades of experience in all types of complex commercial litigation. He has extensive jury trial experience and has litigated in both state and federal courts throughout the United States. Gary also has significant experience in arbitration and has appeared in arbitration forums throughout the United States.
Selected to the 2008 through 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of construction / surety law, Gary serves as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Construction Law Practice Group. His construction practice covers all areas of construction law, from the pre-bid process, to public bidding disputes, to contract negotiation, to construction liens, labor issues and OSHA claims. He counsels clients throughout the construction phase in order to avoid and mitigate claims and to be strategically positioned if litigation or arbitration is required.
Gary’s commercial litigation practice includes partnership disputes, trade secret and restrictive covenant litigation, and franchisor/franchisee litigation as well as sophisticated corporate contractual disputes.
He is also counsel to the boards of several public educational institutions, where his practice involves all aspects of education law, including board governance issues, regulatory law and labor law issues.
As a frequent lecturer on construction law issues as well as mediation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Gary shares his experience and knowledge with professional associations, law schools, construction industry trade groups and school law organizations. He is an ad hoc lecturer on ADR issues for New York area law schools. Gary is also a presenter of in-house seminars on how to effectively avoid and mitigate claims arising on construction projects.
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® in Construction Law (2020, 2021)
- Recognized in Chambers USA in 2020 as a leading lawyer in Construction Law, 2020-2021
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine’s 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 “Top Lawyers” in Construction*
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Construction Litigation*
- Rutgers Law Review Editor while in law school
- Frequent lecturer on construction law issues as well as mediation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Presenter of in-house seminars to owners, contractors, and construction managers on how to effectively avoid and mitigate claims arising on construction projects
- Ad hoc lecturer on ADR issues for New York metropolitan area law schools
- Member, National Advisory Board of the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
- Member, American Bar Association—Civil Trial Section, Construction Litigation Section, and ADR Section
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association—Civil Trial Section, Construction Law Section, and Public Contracts Section
- Represented a Fortune 100 corporate owner in a $15M water infiltration and delay claim construction case
- Represented a public college in a $24M dispute with its surety over a claim for delay, mold infestation, and related damage to dormitories
- Represented a regional school board in all aspects of its $45M construction renovation project
- Represented numerous contractors in sophisticated delay claim litigations