Edward W. Ahart co-chairs the Schenck Price Corporate and Business Practice Group as well as its Nonprofit Organizations Practice Group. He has been widely recognized as an experienced business attorney, with an AV Preeminent attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He is also a noted business leader, having been honored by NJBIZ as a New Jersey Business Icon and by the Morris County Chamber of Commerce as a Business Leader of the Year.
Ed’s practice focuses on advising both for-profit and nonprofit entities, their owners, directors/trustees and managers on board development and governance; entity structural issues; transactions including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and finance; strategic planning; and succession issues. Ed has extensive experience in these areas, both as a legal advisor and as an experienced company leader himself.
Ed has guided many clients through very complex mergers and acquisitions and counseled them on structural issues arising throughout all phases of the life cycle of business entities. He is a frequent speaker on entity governance, both in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors, as well as on topics such as the development and role of the Board of Directors, strategic planning and succession.
Ed served for more than 30 years as a member of the Schenck Price management team, including 20 years as the Firm’s Managing Partner and Chair of its Management Committee, before relinquishing that role to become Chairman of the Firm. He has now returned to the full-time practice of law to serve his clients more fully while also helping to lead the continued growth of the Firm’s business and nonprofit practice areas.
Throughout his career, Ed has spent a considerable portion of his time serving on and representing the boards of numerous organizations. Currently he is the attorney for two large, national non-profits, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Inc. and the National Society of Cosmetic Chemists.
Ed has also had very extensive experience in leadership roles with both for-profit and nonprofit entities, having chaired boards of directors in each sector, including the following boards:
- Lafayette College, which has awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree;
- The Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, which is focused on improving the nation’s health and health care systems and where he serves as the current Board Chair;
- The Mayo Performing Arts Center;
- The Mimi Washington Starrett Foundation, a grant-making foundation that supports other non-profits, where he is the current Board Chair;
- The Morris County Chamber of Commerce;
- The Greenwich Cemetery Association;
- The Warren County ARC, and
- The Morristown Club
He also serves as a member of the Advisory Board of the Karl Stirner Arts Trail in Easton, PA, an organization devoted to the arts in an outdoor setting and environmental sustainability. He previously served as President of the Lafayette College Alumni Association and remains a long-time member of the governing body of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in Stewartsville, NJ.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. Click here for awards information and methodology.
- November 17, 2023Edward W. Ahart and Schenck Price Sponsor MPAC's 25th Anniversary Starlight Ball
- July 20, 2023 Edward W. Ahart Conducts In-Person Orientation and Training Session
- June 8, 2023Edward W. Ahart Addresses Attendees at MWS Foundation Event
- April 18, 2023Edward W. Ahart Hosts and Speaks at The Rippel Foundation's 70th Anniversary Celebration
- Jul 21, 2022Ahart to Present on "Governance of Nonprofit Organizations"
- Apr 12, 2019Good Morning, Morris!
- Apr 24, 2018Family Business Forum: Leadership and Decision-making
- May 25, 2017The Family Business Forum
- Sep 21, 2016Business Growth Forum
- Oct 28, 2015Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act
- Sep 17, 2015Professionals Day Conference
- Oct 1, 2014Best Practices in Governance for a Nonprofit Organization
- Jun 6, 2012Maximizing the Value of Your Business: Trends, Tips and Transactions
- September 27, 2023Edward W. Ahart Celebrates a Distinguished 50-Year Career at Schenck Price Smith & King
- September 6, 2023Edward W. Ahart Closes Significant Transaction for Manufacturing Company Involving Multi-Layered Refinance
- July 19, 2023Edward W. Ahart Closes $18 Million Sale of the Former Millington Quarry Property
- Jan 25, 20192018 William P. Huber Award for Outstanding Community Leadership
- Jun 28, 2017Icon Honors
- Sep 29, 2016Edward Ahart narrates FDU's video on its Family Business Forum, discussing the value of the Forum to growing family businesses. Schenck, Price, Smith & King has sponsored and participated in the Famil
- Sep 26, 2016Morris County Chamber Economic Development Corporation
- Apr 22, 2014Fundamentals of SBA Lending
- Dec 31, 2013A Primer On Current Best Governance Practices of Non-Profit Organizations in New York and New Jersey
- Jul 19, 2012Family Business Playbook, Rothman Institue of Entrepreneurship
- Sep 28, 2011Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders
- Feb 20, 2011Issues Related to Valuation of Privately Held Companies
- Aug 1, 2010Fannie E. Rippel Foundation
- Aug 1, 2010Lafayette College
- Oct 4, 2009The Demon Exchange: A Look at What Haunts Independent Agencies and Strategies for Fixing It
- Oct 1, 2006IIABNJ
- October 19, 2023Legal Updates for Businesses - October 2023
- July 10, 2023Legal Updates for Businesses - July 2023
- February 23, 2023Legal Updates for Businesses - February 2023
- Sep 23, 2022Legal Updates for Businesses - September 2022
- Oct 25, 2021Legal Updates for Businesses - October 2021
- Oct 6, 2020Legal Updates for Businesses - October 2020
- Sep 20, 2019Legal Updates for Businesses - September 2019
- Feb 25, 2019Legal Updates for Businesses - February 2019
- Apr 1, 2009The Benchmark Spring
- Jan 15, 2009New Jersey Family Leave Insurance: What New Jersey Employers Need to Know
- Recipient of Outstanding Leader in Business for Mid/Large Businesses from the Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- Recipient of NJBIZ ICON Honors Award 2017
- Recipient of 2019 William P. Huber Award for Outstanding Community Leadership from the Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
- Listed in Who’s Who and Who’s Who in American Law®
- Awarded honorary Doctor of Laws by Lafayette College
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, published by Thomson Reuters
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here for awards information and methodology.
- Presenter, "Governance of Nonprofit Organizations," Hunterdon Art Museum Board of Trustees, July 21, 2022
- Contributing author, February 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Frequent speaker on corporate governance, transactional and financing matters, and at Independent Insurance
- Agents & Brokers of New Jersey (IIABNJ) programs
- Active Participant and Speaker, Rothman Institute of Entrepreneurial Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University (Madison, New Jersey)
- Elder and Director of Budget & Finance, Greenwich Presbyterian Church
- Lafayette College Board of Trustees – past Board Chair and Trustee Emeritus
- Board Chair, Trustee and General Counsel, Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation seeking better health, better care and lower costs throughout the U.S.
- Active Participant and past long-time Board Member and Board Chair, Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- Current Board Member, Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown
- Current Advisory Board Member, Karl Stirner Arts Trail, Inc.
- Continuing Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Continuing Member, American Bar Association, Business Law and Practice Management Sections
- Current Board Member and Former President, Greenwich Cemetery Association
- Former President, Lafayette College Alumni Association
- Former President and Board Member, The Morristown Club
- Former Vice President and Board Member, Harkers Hollow Golf and Country Club
- Former Attorney, Pohatcong Township, Warren County and Pohatcong Board of Education
- Former Chairman, Board of Trustees, Warren County ARC
- Elder and former President, Board of Trustees, Greenwich Presbyterian Church (Stewartsville, NJ)
- Former Member, New Jersey District X Ethics Committee
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Morris Essex Inn of Transactional Counsel