Cynthia L. Flanagan co-chairs Schenck Price's Labor and Employment Practice Group and represents corporations, government entities and individuals in various matters involving employment law. She acts as outside counsel to her corporate and government clients and renders advice and legal opinions on issues involving sexual harassment, discrimination, civil rights violations and compliance with employment policies.
Cindy also represents several major insurance companies with respect to claims under CGL, first-party, homeowners, professional liability, automobile and other types of insurance policies. She provides coverage analysis and litigates, in court and through mediation and arbitration, claims and cases involving environmental, construction defect and products liability coverage issues.
In addition, Cindy contributes her experience to writing articles for publications including New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and New Jersey Law Journal. Topics have included insurance fraud and construction lien law revisions.
She is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s (NJSBA) Construction Law Section and also chairs NJSBA’s Diversity Committee.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 "Top Lawyers" in Labor & Employment*
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars®* list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of General Litigation
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars®* list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Employment & Labor
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Co-presenter, "Employment Issues Related to COVID and the 'Return to the Workplace,'" Bergen County Professional Women's Network, September 21, 2021
- Speaker, "Whose Employee is it? Borrowed Servant, Agency, and Vicarious Liability Dangers," CLE Compensation and Retail, Restaurant & Conference, Chicago, May 20, 2020
- Contributing author, September 2019 Legal Updates for Business
- Presenter, “Employment Law Issues for Small Businesses,” Morris County Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management, April 25, 2019
- Contributing author, February 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Speaker, "Employers Beware! New Equal Pay and Paid Sick Leave Laws are Potential Minefields of Liability for Employers," July 25, 2018
- Contributing author, June 2017 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Co-Author, "What's in a Name?, U.S. Supreme Court Defines "Supervisor", New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 2014
- Co-Author, “New Jersey Courts’ Liberal Interpretation of Consumer Fraud Act Claims Also Governs the Courts’ Review of Attorneys’ Fees Claims Under the Act,” New Jersey Lawyer, February 2012
- Co-Author, Facebook’s New Job Posting Feature Presents Opportunities and Risks for Businesses
- Co-Author, “New Construction Lien Law Revisions Clarify Residential Lien Procedures,” which discusses revisions to the lien law in the context of residential construction, New Jersey Law Journal, January 2011
- Co-Author, “The Basics of Insurance Fraud,” New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, 2008
- Garden Academy Board of Directors
- Board of Trustees of the Mendham Township Library Association
- Morris County Chamber of Commerce, Human Resource & Talent Committee
- Society for Human Resources Management, Morris County Chapter
- The New Jersey Business & Industry Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- District XA Ethics Committee (2014-2018)
- The Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Successfully defended the Township of Little Falls against an employee’s whistleblower complaint in the matter of Whiteside v. The Township of Little Falls, PAS-L-1511-14. The case was unique in that throughout the litigation and throughout the trial, the Plaintiff remained employed by the Township. The employee’s demand before trial was more than $500,000. After a three-week jury trial, the jury rendered a defense verdict.
- Negotiated favorable executive severance packages for several executives following their complaints of harassment against their international employer
- Represented a large manufacturing company against a former employee’s claims of disability and sex discrimination. After obtaining a settlement for nuisance value, we filed a third-party complaint against the company’s insurance broker for failing to procure EPL insurance. Obtained a settlement from the insurance broker that reimbursed the company for fees and costs of litigation
- Successfully defended the New Jersey Department of Corrections and various employees against a Correction Officer’s claims of discrimination, harassment, and constitutional violations in the matter of Goodall-Gaillard v. New Jersey Department of Corrections, et al., Civ. No. 2:09-00954. After five years of litigation, obtained summary judgment on behalf of the entity and the defendant employees
- Conducted a large-scale investigation for a mid-size corporation in response to employee harassment complaints
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipal fire department against a volunteer firefighter’s claims of discrimination and violations of the Conscientious Employee Protection Act
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in an Order to Show Cause action against a former employee who violated several restrictive covenants in his employment agreement and obtained a favorable settlement for the company