Benjamin Hooper has significant experience defending health care clients in complex, multi-party civil ligation throughout the state of New Jersey. He concentrates his practice on defending a broad array of individual health care professionals, as well as hospitals, community residences for individuals with developmental disabilities, surgery centers, practices and other health care entities from claims of malpractice. Benjamin has experience defending clients at all stages of litigation, including on appeal, and frequently advocates for clients before the courts.
Benjamin prevailed in a unanimous decision before the Supreme Court of New Jersey in the matter, Serico v. Rothberg, 234 N.J. 168 (2018) on the interplay between the Offer of Judgment Rule, and “high-low” agreements. The decision resulted in the adoption of a new rule of civil procedure defining High-Low agreements, R. 4:24A.
Benjamin also has significant experience handling a variety of litigation and arbitration matters including public entity liability, Dram Shop Act, construction injuries, general liability and representing insurance carriers at benefit claims arbitrations.
Benjamin earned his law degree from Seton Hall University School of Law. While in law school, he was a member of the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic where he successfully obtained asylum for his detained client and was also awarded Best Brief in the Gressman Moot Court Competition. Benjamin also interned with the Division of Law and Public Safety at the Office of the Attorney General, where he participated in investigations of licensed professionals.
- Mar 17, 20222022 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 34 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Aug 15, 2021Three New Counsel Named
- March 23, 20212021 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 32 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Aug 1, 2018Supreme Court Affirms Judgment
- March 01, 2017Health Law Dispatch - March 2017
- Selected to the 2021 and 2022 New Jersey Rising Stars®* list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Health Care
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Author, "Expert Evidence Needed to Prove Emotional Distress Claims," Health Law Dispatch, April 2021
- Contributing author, December 2020 Health Law Dispatch
- Presenter, "Hot Issues in IDD Provider Litigation," NJACP, April 17, 2019
- Contributing Author, New Jersey Association of Community Providers, March 2019 Bulletin
- Training Presentation: Adance Directives, DNR and Wrongful Prologation of Like Claim, September 2018
- Author, "Legal Alert: New Jersey Supreme Court Affirms Judgment in Case Involving an Offer of Judgment and a High-Low Agreement," August 2018
- Contributing Author, March 2017 Health Law Dispatch
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Bergen County Bar Association
- Member, The Justice Morris Pashman American Inn of Court