Schenck Price has extensive experience in virtually all types of insurance defense work. With decades of experience in the courtroom, our attorneys have tried hundreds of cases. Five are certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Civil Trial Attorneys.
Schenck Price represents insurance carriers, third-party administrators and self-insured funds. The Firm has represented many mutual insurance companies as well. We also represent municipalities and other public entities in insurance matters. We have had long relationships with dozens of carriers, including ADP Statewide, AIG Centennial, American Millennium, Franklin Mutual, Greater New York Mutual, Hiscox, Liberty Mutual, Maxum, New Jersey Manufacturers, Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual, Philadelphia Insurance, PURE, Scottsdale, State Farm, Statewide, Swiss/Re/Westport, The Hartford and Travelers.
Our attorneys regularly appear before judges in virtually all New Jersey counties, both in state court and the federal district court. We have dealt extensively with the plaintiff’s bar, which allows us to strategize to achieve the best results for our clients.
Our practice group provides clients prompt information-gathering and early case evaluation. Clients do not like surprises, so we tailor our reporting to what they require, what they need to know and when they need to know it. Early on, we analyze each matter and communicate our evaluation to the client. The attorneys prepare clear, concise reports on all significant developments, and provide clients with realistic assessments on settlement value, degree of exposure and likelihood of success at trial.
Since cases vary in terms of size, complexity, defense strategy and degree of exposure, we tailor our efforts to the particular facts and circumstances of each case.
Schenck Price’s attorneys are prepared to litigate aggressively to pursue our clients’ best interests, but we also recognize the value of resolving matters favorably at a low cost. The Insurance Defense Practice Group has experience with various types of Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) and will explore all appropriate means to resolve matters consistent with the client’s objectives.
Areas of Practice
- Defense of general liability claims, including personal injury, property and all other damage claims
- Professional liability claims, including physicians, attorneys, insurance agents and brokers, engineers, accountants, veterinarians and educators
- Employment claims
- Construction litigation
- Slip and falls
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability suits
- Social host liability and dram shop claims
- Fire and other casualty losses
- Products liability suits
- Environmental suits
- Insurance coverage
- Mass torts
- Public entity defense
- Successfully defended a trade association of insurance agents in a case in which a jury found several agents responsible for a $9.1 million judgment. The Appellate Division reversed the jury verdict and dismissed the case against the agents
- Served as National Coordinating Counsel for an insurance company in construction defect cases, coordinating all local counsel in defense of major construction litigation nationwide
- Successfully defended insurance agent in a case in which the plaintiff claimed our client was responsible for approximately $1 million for claimed failure to offer insurance coverage for the accident. We obtained a dismissal at the trial level, which was affirmed by both the Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Defense verdict on CEPA whistleblower case on behalf of a municipality
AlertsAug 3, 2020Recent Cases
NewsNovember 2, 2023Schenck Price Recognized in the 2024 Edition of "Best Law Firms"September 26, 2023John D. McCarthy Named a 2023 NJBIZ Veterans in Business HonoreeSeptember 18, 2023Matthew C. Morales Joins Schenck PriceMay 22, 2023Melissa A. Galante Joins Schenck PriceApril 26, 20232022 Year in Review: Growth and AchievementFebruary 22, 2023Associates Connor Breza and Marla Buitrago Rincon Join Schenck PriceSep 19, 2022Schenck Price Welcomes Two New AssociatesMay 13, 2020Insurance Defense Litigation During COVID-19 - Immediate Responses and Strategies to Move ForwardJul 2, 2019Appellate Division Holds No Proximate Cause as a Matter of Law in Case Alleging Negligent Prescription of MedicationJun 10, 2019Appellate Division Addresses Witness StatementsMar 5, 2019Law Division Holds that Evidence of Car Being "Totaled" as a Result of an Accident is IrrelevantFeb 5, 2019Insurer May Exclude Coverage for Accident Involving a Vehicle Owned by Insured but Not Covered Under PolicyDec 27, 2018Appellate Division Makes Numerous Rulings on Attorney Comments and Admissibility of Expert TestimonyNov 21, 2018Trial Court Bars Insurer's Subrogation Action Where Condo Association's By-Laws Compel Waiver of ClaimsNov 15, 2018Trial Court Holds That Evidence of Airbag Deployment Inadmissible in Absence of Expert TestimonyNov 1, 2018Appellate Division Directs Different Jury Charge for Dangerous Activity on Premises as Opposed to Dangerous Condition of Premises and Bars Lay Testimony Concerning Dangerous ActivitiesOct 16, 2018Appellate Division Holds that School Has Duty to Supervise Students and Prevent Unwanted Sexual EncountersAug 20, 2018Bystander Claim - Appellate Division Holds That Jury Could Find Plaintiff in Same-Sex Relationship Has Claim for Witnessing Death of Her Wife's DaughterAug 17, 2018New Jersey Supreme Court Rules on Offer of Judgment Rule with Multiple Defendants and Jury Charges in a Product Liability CaseDec 6, 2016"Best Law Firms" for 2017
EventsSep 21, 2022Schenck Price Hosts Insurance Law SectionOct 14, 2020Reasonable Expectations Doctrine