Sean Monaghan has more than thirty years of experience in real estate, environmental and business law. He started his practice as a real estate lawyer and after working on significant real estate transactions of all sorts, developed a speciality in environmentally impacted real estate and business transactions. His practice also includes counseling clients with regard to regulatory compliance before state and federal agencies, including the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Areas of Concentration
Representing buyers and sellers, landlords and tenants, and owner and operators on all manner of transactions and issues involving real estate.
Advising developers, owners, and operators in development and remediation of contaminated sites under the Superfund Law, New Jersey’s Industrial Site Recovery Act and New York’s voluntary cleanup program, including Brownfield redevelopment.
Representing property owners in eminent domain proceedings including “good faith” negotiations, right of entry agreements, commissioners’ hearings and appeals.
Representing owners and developers in obtaining zoning and land use approvals and permits for commercial and residential development and redevelopment.
Representing real estate owners and operators as insured parties in environmental insurance claims and negotiating environmental insurance policies.
Creating condominiums for residential, commercial and industrial properties, including preparing organizational documents and master deeds, registration with state agencies and directing developer-controlled associations.
Defending public and private companies in environmental cost recovery actions and negotiating settlements in government cost recovery and natural resource damages claims.
Participating in the development of affordable housing by providing legal services, board participation, policy development, financing, crisis management and human resources.
- Represented public and privately-owned real estate development companies in brownfield redevelopments in Kearny, New Jersey and Elizabeth, New Jersey.
- Represented an entrepreneur real estate developer in the redevelopment of a former manufacturing facility into a big box retail store in Orangeburg, New York.
- Represented residential real estate operator and a private equity firm in restructuring their condominium projects, including preparation of public offering statements and applications for registration as well as compliance with New Home Warranty and Builder Registration Act and regulations.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest telecommunications companies in support of retail and wireless businesses including more than 250 leases for retail stores, wireless antenna facilities and offices; resolving disputes with landlords; due diligence, negotiation and implementation of real estate aspects of mergers and acquisitions; counseling on OSHA; marketing; eminent domain issues; and appealing land use approval decisions.
- Represented defense contractor in sale of surplus facilities including real estate and environmental issue.
- Represented regional manufacturing company in sale/leaseback of factory.
- Represented Morris Habitat for Humanity, Inc. in development of multi-family affordable housing projects in northern New Jersey, including acquisition of sites, use variance and site plan approvals, formation of condominiums and compliance with the Planned Real Estate Development Full Disclosure Act.
- Represented international food products company in acquisition of site and zoning approvals for 150,000 square foot manufacturing, warehouse and office facility.
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.