Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Business/Corporate law, Michael J. Marotte serves as co-chair to the Telecommunications Law Practice Group, chair of the Insurance Coverage Practice Group, and as co-chair of the Insurance Defense and the Appellate Practice Groups. As a member of the Appellate Practice Group, he has argued numerous appeals before the New Jersey Appellate and Supreme Courts. Mr. Marotte is also a member of Schenck, Price, Smith & King's Management Committee.
Mr. Marotte serves as general counsel and national coordinating counsel to several closely held companies with cumulative annual revenues of over one billion dollars. Mr. Marotte represents business clients in connection with corporate governance and financing matters, mergers and acquisitions, stock purchases, asset purchases, due diligence, intellectual property matters and tax planning. As New Jersey insurance coverage counsel for several insurance companies, Mr. Marotte provides guidance on all matters relating to first party property, third party liability, directors and officers, and excess insurance coverage. He represents insurers in coverage litigation and against bad faith/extra contractual claims. In addition, Mr. Marotte presents an annual seminar to insurers and third-party administrators on insurance claim handling and has contributed articles to New Jersey Law Journal on Insurance Law and other topics. He is Counsel to the Cranberry Lake Community Club, a not-for-profit community organization. Previously, he was the mayor of Byram Township, a member of Byram Township Council and Planning Board, and chairman of Byram Township’s Smart Growth Committee.
Prior to becoming a lawyer Mr. Marotte was a chemical engineer with a Fortune 500 company. He passed the professional engineer examination and earned his Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certification prior to attending law school. He graduated with honors from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a B.S. degree in chemical engineering.
Areas of Concentration
Business and corporate counseling, insurance coverage, litigation, and appellate practice.
- Negotiated complex joint ventures and transactions for telecommunications clients
- Negotiated and prepared national distribution and sales agreements
- Prepared numerous executive level employment agreements and separation agreements
- Has tried over 25 Superior Court cases to conclusion
- Served as lead counsel in a federal court toxic tort lawsuit involving over 500 plaintiffs
- Has argued numerous cases before the Appellate Court and New Jersey Supreme Court. Recent arguments before the Supreme Court may be found on the New Jersey Judiciary website www.judiciary.state.nj.us
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.