Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Business/Corporate law, Michael J. Marotte serves as co-chair to the Corporate and Business Law Practice Group, the Telecommunications Law Practice Group, and the Insurance Coverage Practice Group. Mr. Marotte is also a member of Schenck, Price, Smith & King's Management Committee.
Mr. Marotte serves as general counsel and national coordinating counsel to several closely held companies with cumulative annual revenues of well over one billion dollars. Mr. Marotte represents business and corporate clients in connection with corporate governance and finance, mergers and acquisitions, stock purchases, asset purchases, due diligence, intellectual property matters, employment, and tax planning. As New Jersey insurance coverage counsel for several insurance companies, Mr. Marotte provides guidance on all matters relating to first party property, third party liability, directors and officers, and excess insurance coverage. He represents insurers in coverage litigation and against bad faith/extra contractual claims. In addition, Mr. Marotte presents an annual seminar to insurers and third-party administrators on insurance claim handling and has contributed articles to New Jersey Law Journal on Insurance Law and other topics. He is Counsel to the Cranberry Lake Community Club, a not-for-profit community organization. Previously, he was the mayor of Byram Township, a member of Byram Township Council and Planning Board, and chairman of Byram Township’s Smart Growth Committee.
Prior to becoming a lawyer Mr. Marotte was a chemical engineer with a Fortune 500 company. He passed the professional engineer examination prior to attending law school. He graduated with honors from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a B.S. degree in chemical engineering.
Areas of Concentration
Business and corporate counseling, insurance coverage, litigation, and appellate practice.
- Negotiated and drafted all agreements for a $260 million asset-based credit facility, coordinating and involving assets and collateral located in multiple U.S. and international jurisdictions
- Negotiated and successfully settled a lawsuit filed by Blackberry Limited against a major telecommunications client in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey concerning the purchase and sale of hundreds of thousands of cellular devices in U.S. and international markets
- Filed suit on behalf of a telecommunications company against AT&T as a result of a dispute concerning the refurbishment of cellular devices in the U.S., the Dominican Republic, Hong Kong and China, which resulted in a favorable confidential settlement for our client
- Represented a consumer electronics company as a borrower in an $18 million mezzanine loan
- Formed a hedge fund that invests in equity and debt securities in the U.S. and offshore. Along with New York co-counsel, we negotiated and revised all required service and ancillary agreements, offering memoranda and all documentation concomitant with the formation of the U.S. and offshore funds
- Represented a high-tech company that suspected it was the victim of corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets, resulting in the Court ordering the company’s competitor to cease its tortious conduct
- Secured a $7.2 million New Jersey Economic Development Authority tax credit for a company
- Negotiated complex joint ventures and transactions for telecommunications clients
- Negotiated and prepared national distribution and sales agreements
- Prepared numerous executive level employment agreements and separation agreements
- Has tried over 25 Superior Court cases to conclusion
- Served as lead counsel in a federal court toxic tort lawsuit involving over 500 plaintiffs
- Has argued numerous cases before the Appellate Court and New Jersey Supreme Court. Recent arguments before the Supreme Court may be found on the New Jersey Judiciary website www.judiciary.state.nj.us
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.