John E. Ursin has extensive experience in a wide range of legal specialties. This experience and background has allowed him to provide valuable and efficient representation as general counsel to corporations, small business, local government entities, non-profit organizations, and family offices. He is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Practice, Insurance Defense and Banking and Finance Practice Groups. He chairs Schenck, Price, Smith & King’s Government Law Practice Group, and co-chairs SPSK's Land Use and Redevelopment Law Practice Group.
Mr. Ursin regularly handles litigation involving public entities, such as tort defense, coverage issues, bidding and contractual disputes, and education issues. His insurance litigation practice includes coverage and defense issues ranging from general liability and indemnification issues to specialized coverage and reinsurance issues. He regularly represents local and regional banks and other financial institutions in litigation, foreclosure, commercial restructuring and workouts.
Mr. Ursin counsels companies of all sizes, both public and private, on mergers and acquisitions; financing, including venture capital and private placements; on corporate structure and governance; and litigation and employment issues. His biochemistry background has allowed him to be particularly adept at counseling companies in scientific and technology fields in transactions and other matters.
Mr. Ursin is experienced with complex business and real estate transactions and frequently appears before zoning and planning board as well as the NJDEP concerning all types of development, zoning and use issues.
Mr. Ursin counsels municipalities, school boards, and other public entities and has extensive experience with administrative, governance, and legislative aspects of government, including OPMA, OPRA, and elections. He advises clients on redevelopment, highlands issues, plan conformance, COAH and water and sewer utilities. He is also involved with contractual disputes, union negotiations, employee discipline, civil service and PERC issues.
Mr. Ursin’s recent representative clients include the Kellogg Family/Hudson Farm, Grafoid, Rockets Sports Group, Econo-Pak, Cellmedix, Blue Ridge Lumber Company, Pure Insurance, Statewide Insurance, and Nationwide Insurance Company. Mr. Ursin serves as Municipal Attorney for multiple municipalities.
Areas of Concentration
Corporate law, government law, insurance defense, banking and finance law, and land use.
- Achieved three jury trial victories in two years, including two in employment discrimination/New Jersey Law Against Discrimination lawsuits.
- Represented a large multi-national corporate client in the acquisition of real estate for a new corporate headquarters, including all land use approvals and the resolution of significant utility issue saving the client in excess of two million dollars in municipal fees.
- Represented a multi-national corporation in the purchase of a New Jersey company with a complex financing structure and significant environmental issues.
- Represented a technology manufacturing company in a multi-national distribution agreement addressing all of the Intellectual Property issues.
- Represented a start up company in a private stock placement.
- Counseled one of New Jersey’s largest landowners on purchases, corporate structure governance and preservation efforts.
- Represented a regional bank in complex workouts, including related litigation and sale.
- Represented local government in two of the largest and most complex tax appeals in northwest New Jersey involving a ski area and a quarry.
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.