Prior to accepting his position as Bergen County Administrator and Director of Administration in January of 2011, Mr. Trawinski was a partner with the law firm Schenck, Price, Smith & King, LLP, a preeminent regional law firm located in Florham Park which celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2012. Mr. Trawinski returned to Schenck, Price, Smith & King, LLP on November 1, 2014 and is “of Counsel” to the firm.
Mr. Trawinski has served as past member of the firm’s management committee. His practice centered on all types of real estate, land use and corporate transactions, financing, construction, environmental matters and leasing. He has served as a Bergen County Condemnation Commissioner. Mr. Trawinski, a licensed, instrument-rated pilot, also practices in the area of aviation regulatory law and managed districts law.
Mr. Trawinski joined the Kean Administration in 1988 as Assistant State Commerce Commissioner. While in Trenton, he directed programs designed to promote job growth and economic development and supervised the overall administration of the Department of Commerce and its offices of Economic Research, Division of Development for Small, Women and Minority Owned Business and Legislative Liaison. He also served as the lead negotiator for New Jersey’s team for entities moving into the NJ waterfront development areas and chaired or served on numerous commissions, boards and authorities to help promote the economic development of New Jersey small business and enterprise zones.
Mr. Trawinski has served as special counsel to the Peapack Gladstone Land Use Board, counsel to the Boonton, Fair Lawn, Hasbrouck Heights and Bergenfield Planning Boards, special counsel to the Teaneck Planning Board and counsel to the Passaic River Coalition. He served as an Assistant Counsel to the NJ Planning Officials. He is Counsel to the NJ Managed Districts Association, the Ironbound Business Immigrant District and several other SIDs in NJ. He has also published and lectured extensively on corporate and land use topics.
Mr. Trawinski is a former Mayor of Fair Lawn. He has served as Deputy Mayor and a member of the Fair Lawn Council. He served as a Trustee of St. Anne’s Church and was a member of the Parish Finance Council. He is a recipient of the Meritorious Service Award from the New Jersey Department of Commerce Division for the Development of Women, Minority Owned, and Small Businesses. He is a founding member and past Chairman of the Morris County Economic Development Corporation, where he served on the Board of Directors. He currently serves as a member of Bergen County Economic Development Corporation. As County Administrator, he served on various boards and authorities as the County Executive’s Designee and he served as Chairman of the County’s Insurance Committees.
Mr. Trawinski is admitted to practice law in New York and New Jersey and before the United States Tax Court, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the Bergen County Bar Association.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts in history from Fordham University, Mr. Trawinski received his law degree from Rutgers University School of Law in 1974 and a Masters of Law in Taxation from NYU Graduate Law School in 1979. A lifelong resident of Bergen County, Mr. Trawinski and his wife Diane are the parents of three children and proud grandparents of six grandchildren.
Areas of Concentration
Commercial Real Estate, Land Use, Zoning and Environmental Law, Aviation Regulatory Law, Managed Districts law, including SIDS, BIDS and Downtowns
- Currently assisting a client in developing several properties in NJ for environmentally friendly car washes
- Currently representing pilots in FAA enforcement proceedings
- Advised a client in converting an office building to mixed use condominium ownership
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of multi-entity tax free exchanges of real estate both within New Jersey and interstate
- Represented client in acquisition, development and structuring of multi-entity ownership condominium development project with various types of assets
- Represented numerous clients both governmental and private developers as well as objectors in Prerogative Writs cases contesting or defending Land Use matters and Development matters
- Represented clients in procuring financing and structuring of various commercial real estate transactions
- Represented clients in major and complex commercial office park developments
- Represented client in major and substantial Subdivision and Land Development applications involving substantial tracts of land
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.