Edward W. Ahart Partner
Edward W. Ahart chairs the Corporate Practice Group. He practices primarily as a business attorney, concentrating in advising businesses, business owners, directors and managers on governance and entity structural issues, along with transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, finance and business contracts. Mr. Ahart served for more than thirty years as a member of the Firm's Managment Committee, including twenty years as the Firm’s Managing Partner and Chair of its Management Committee, before relinquishing that role to assume the position of Chairman of the Firm. He has now returned to the full-time practice of law.
Mr. Ahart has extensive experience in general business counseling, structuring entities, in business governance, as well as in transactions, including the purchase, sale and financing of businesses and related commercial transactions, in addition to the structuring and restructuring, negotiating and closing of complex asset and stock sales and acquisitions. A considerable percentage of his practice is comprised of the representation of closely held and family-owned businesses -- and the families that own them -- including many insurance agencies, as well as several not-for-profit companies and foundations.
In addition, Mr. Ahart has represented numerous financial institutions, both large and small, served as acting general counsel to counsel to Hooper Holmes, Inc., a publicly traded company, and as outside counsel to the Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, Basking Ridge Golf Club, Inc., Allied Oil, Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of New Jersey (the “IIABNJ”), Millington Quarry, Inc., Duke Farms Foundation, Lamart Corporation and the Society of Cosmetic Chemists in general corporate matters.
Areas of Concentration
Business counseling on governance and entity structural issues, transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, finance and business contracts; business owner, director, and management counseling; the negotiation and closing of complex asset and stock sales and acquisitions; strategic planning, counseling, succession and transition planning for small and large privately held and/or family-owned companies.
- Assisted a client in successfully completing a complex international multi-party sale of a financial investment
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of multi-entity companies with many types of assets
- Successfully negotiated and completed several complex international contracts
- Advised both for-profit and not-for-profit boards on board structure and governance policies
- Is special counsel to the board of a large, national non-profit trade association to advise in various governance aspects of a potential merger
- Successfully represented a client in the purchase of a company with an international subsidiary and counseled on the new operations in Mexico
- Represented a closely held consulting company from its start-up to its sale to a publicly-traded entity.
* For more information about the Super Lawyers selection process, please go to:
No aspect of this advertising has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court