Edward W. Ahart Partner
Edward W. Ahart chairs the Corporate Practice Group. He practices primarily as a business attorney, concentrating in advising businesses, business owners, directors and managers on governance and entity structural issues, along with transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, finance and business contracts. Mr. Ahart served for more than thirty years as a member of the Firm's Managment Committee, including twenty years as the Firm’s Managing Partner and Chair of its Management Committee. In 2010 he relinquished that role to assume the position of Chairman of the Firm, and has now returned to the full-time practice of law.
Mr. Ahart has extensive experience in general business counseling, structuring entities, in business governance, as well as in transactions, including the purchase, sale and financing of businesses and related commercial transactions, in addition to the structuring and restructuring, negotiating and closing of complex asset and stock sales and acquisitions. A considerable percentage of his practice is comprised of the representation of closely held and family-owned businesses, including many insurance agencies, as well as several not-for-profit companies and foundations.
In addition, Mr. Ahart has represented numerous financial institutions, both large and small, and has served as acting general counsel to counsel to Hooper Holmes, Inc., a publicly traded company, and as outside counsel to the Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, Basking Ridge Golf Club, Inc., Allied Oil, Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of New Jersey (the “IIABNJ”), Millington Quarry, Inc., Damon G Douglas, Inc., Duke Farms Foundation and the Lamart Corporation in general corporate matters.
Areas of Concentration
Business counseling on governance and entity structural issues, transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, finance and business contracts; business owner, director, and management counseling; the negotiation and closing of complex asset and stock sales and acquisitions; strategic planning, counseling, succession and transition planning for small and large privately held and/or family-owned companies.
- Recently assisted a client in successfully completing a complex international multi-party sale of a financial investment
- Represented clients in the purchase and sale of multi-entity companies with many types of assets
- Successfully negotiated and completed several complex international contracts
- Advised both for-profit and not-for-profit boards on board structure and governance policies
- Was special counsel to the board of a large trade association to advise in various governance aspects of a potential merger
* For more information about the Super Lawyers selection process, please go to:
No aspect of this advertising has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court