Cynthia L. Flanagan co-chairs our Labor and Employment practice group and represents corporations, government entities and individuals in various matters involving employment law. She acts as outside counsel to her corporate and government clients and renders advice and legal opinions on issues involving sexual harassment, discrimination, civil rights violations and compliance with employment policies.
Ms. Flanagan also represents several major insurance companies with respect to claims under CGL, first-party, homeowners, professional liability, automobile and other types of insurance policies. She provides coverage analysis and litigates, in court and through mediation and arbitration, claims and cases involving environmental, construction defect and products liability coverage issues.
In addition, Ms. Flanagan contributes her experience to writing articles for publications including New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and New Jersey Law Journal. Topics have included insurance fraud and construction lien law revisions.
She is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s (NJSBA) Construction Law Section and also chairs NJSBA’s Diversity Committee.
Areas of Concentration
Representation of management in all employment-related matters as well as insurance companies in coverage disputes and litigation, and environmental litigation.
- Successfully defended the Township of Little Falls against an employee’s whistleblower complaint in the matter of Whiteside v. The Township of Little Falls, PAS-L-1511-14. The case was unique in that throughout the litigation and throughout the trial, the Plaintiff remained employed by the Township. The employee’s demand before trial was more than $500,000. After a three-week jury trial, the jury rendered a defense verdict.
- Negotiated favorable executive severance packages for several executives following their complaints of harassment against their international employer.
- Represented a large manufacturing company against a former employee’s claims of disability and sex discrimination. After obtaining a settlement for nuisance value, we filed a third-party complaint against the company’s insurance broker for failing to procure EPL insurance. Obtained a settlement from the insurance broker that reimbursed the company for fees and costs of litigation.
- Successfully defended the New Jersey Department of Corrections and various employees against a Correction Officer’s claims of discrimination, harassment, and constitutional violations in the matter of Goodall-Gaillard v. New Jersey Department of Corrections, et al., Civ. No. 2:09-00954. After five years of litigation, obtained summary judgment on behalf of the entity and the defendant employees.
- Conducted a large-scale investigation for a mid-size corporation in response to employee harassment complaints.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipal fire department against a volunteer firefighter’s claims of discrimination and violations of the Conscientious Employee Protection Act.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in an Order to Show Cause action against a former employee who violated several restrictive covenants in his employment agreement and obtained a favorable settlement for the company.
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.