A recipient of the Brandeis Society Award for legal and community achievement, Stephen A. Geffner was a founder and senior partner of Gallo Geffner Fenster, P.C., which merged with Schenck Price. With his vast experience in representing commercial and individual real estate developers and in obtaining real estate subdivisions and with regard to other land use issues, Steve’s clients, through his efforts, have obtained approvals for cell towers, child care facilities, retail centers and major residential communities.
He has recently received approval for a 17-story apartment building in East Orange, NJ and has obtained approval for a major religious institution as well as several shopping center expansions. For this work, he was repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Zoning/Land Use.
Steve appears on behalf of his developer clients throughout the State of New Jersey regardless of location. For example, he has successfully appeared in communities from Ocean County in the south, to Sussex and Warren Counties in the north and west.
Another aspect of his practice is significant personal injury cases. He has represented—and continues to represent—injured workers in major workers’ compensation cases and injured parties, generally in personal injury actions of a serious and permanent nature. He has achieved multi-million dollar results in those cases over the years of his practice. He has, for the last four years in a row, achieved settlements in excess of $1 million and continues to be retained on those type of cases.
Actively involved in his community, Steve is Livingston Township, NJ’s former mayor, councilman and Board of Adjustment Counsel.
The respect of his peers and adversaries for over 50 years brings him great pride in his devotion to the law and to his varied clientele.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2018 "Top Lawyers" in Land Use and Environment*
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers®* list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Zoning/Land Use *
- Recipient, Brandeis Society Award for legal and community achievement (2002)
- Recipient, Israel Bond Freedom Award (2002)
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Former Chairman, West Essex Fresh Air Fund, United Way
- Former Member, Governor’s Council on Drug Abuse
- Former Mayor, Councilman, and Counsel to Board of Adjustment, Township of Livingston, New Jersey
- Has represented plaintiffs in several multi-million dollar personal injury cases
- Represented Livingston Town Center’s developers for the Center’s approval
- Represents both self-insured individuals as well as a number of insurance carriers throughout northern New Jersey, including Liberty Mutual Insurance and Great American Insurance
- Represents Garden Homes, Roseland Development Companies, Millennium Homes, Eastman Management Company, Jacobs Enterprises, and Sterling Properties
- Represents many houses of worship in expanding or obtaining new facilities