Lauren I. Mechaly focuses her practice on elder law, special needs planning, estate planning and estate administration.
As an elder law practitioner, she assists seniors with a variety of legal issues, including estate planning and long-term care planning. This also includes establishing and maintaining eligibility for means-tested government benefits, assisting in nursing home admissions and obtaining homecare services for the elderly.
As a special needs practitioner, Lauren assists individuals with special needs and their families in promoting the best quality of life for disabled individuals. She assists in establishing and maintaining eligibility for government benefits, and in obtaining community support and services for individuals with disabilities. She also assists financial institutions and corporate fiduciaries with judicial and administrative accountings, and offers counseling in the administration of special needs trusts.
As an estate planner, Lauren deals with issues pertaining to estate and tax planning and asset preservation. She assists clients with the tax efficient transfer of assets during life and after death, crafting customized estate plans to meet the individual needs of her clients. This includes the preparation of estate planning documents such as Wills, Trusts and Advance Directives.
Lauren has authored and/or co-authored articles relating to various matters in her practice areas.
Prior to joining Schenck Price, Lauren was an associate in the Private Clients, Trusts & Estates group of a large firm in New York City.
- May 24, 2022Mechaly is Panelist for Professional Women in Building Breakfast Panel
- Apr 15, 2021Network & Nosh
- Jan 21, 2021Special Needs and Elder Care Estate Planning Issues
- Dec 17, 2020Caring for the Elderly During COVID-19
- Jun 10, 2020Top Ten Tips in Special Needs Planning
- Nov 20, 2019Greater New Jersey Estate Planning Council
- Nov 15, 2019Basics of Elder Law & Special Needs Practice 2019
- Oct 4, 2019Special Education Law Update 2019
- Jun 6, 2018NYSBA Special Education Update
- Mar 17, 20222022 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 34 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Nov 1, 20214 Schenck Price Attorneys Included in Bergen Magazine's "Top Lawyers" List
- March 23, 20212021 Edition of New Jersey Super Lawyers Includes 32 Schenck Price Attorneys
- Nov 5, 2020Four Schenck Price Attorneys Among Bergen County's Top Lawyers 2020
- Sep 29, 2020Estate Planning for Your Young Family: If Not Now, When? Back by Popular Demand!
- May 27, 2020Estate Planning for Your Young Family: If Not Now, When?
- Apr 2, 2018World Autism Awareness Day
- Included on the list of "Bergen County's Top Lawyers" in 2020 and 2021 by Bergen Magazine, in the category of Trusts & Estates, Wills & Probate*
- Repeatedly selected to the New York Rising Stars list, featured in New York Metro - Super Lawyers*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Rising Stars® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of Elder Law*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Panelist, "Balancing Business Goals with Personal Priorities," Professional Women in Building (PWB) of Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey, May 24, 2022
- Author, "New York Releases New Power of Attorney," June 14, 2021
- Author, "A Brief Introduction to New Jersey Medicaid Planning for the New York Elder Law Attorney," New York State Bar Association's Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, Spring 2021
- Co-presenter, "Caring for the Elderly During COVID-19," a webinar for those serving and caring for the elderly, December 17, 2020
- Co-author, "DDD Issues Holiday Visitation Guidance," November 24, 2020
- Speaker, Special Needs and Elder Care Estate Planning Issues," The Bergen County Estate Planning Council, January 21, 2021
- Co-presenter, "Estate Planning for Your Young Family Family: If Not Now, When?" Schenck Price webinar, September 29, 2020
- Quoted in Newark Star-Ledger, "I'm Getting a $50K Inheritance. What Taxes Will be Owed?," July 6, 2020
- Presenter, "Top Ten Tips in Special Needs Planning," Schenck Price webinar, June 10, 2020
- Co-presenter, "Estate Planning for Your Young Family Family: If Not Now, When?" Schenck Price webinar, May 27, 2020
- "Crowdfunding: the Benefits, the Pitfalls and Everything in Between," Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, Fall 2019
- “Crowdfunding: The Benefits, the Pitfalls, and Everything in Between," The New Jersey Law Journal, November 4, 2019
- "Analyzing the Unique Duties and Obligations of Special Needs Trustees,” (co-author) New York Law Journal, September 16, 2013
- “Putting the Pieces of the Puzzle Together: Special Needs Planning for the Young Adult,” Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 23, No 2, Spring 2013
- “Special Education Advocacy in New York City," Government Law and Policy Journal, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 14, No 2., Winter 2012
- “Disciplinary Issues Facing Students with Special Needs,” Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 22, No. 3, Summer 2012
- “Seeking Reimbursement for Private School Tuition,” Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 22, No. 1, Winter 2012
- “I’m Turning Thirty: Now What?” Electronically in Touch, Young Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association, February 2012
- “Use of Irrevocable Income Only Trusts in Elder Law Planning: Yes, You Can Have Your Cake and Eat It Too,” (contributor) 46th Annual Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, 2012
- Elder Law, Special Needs Planning and Will Drafting, (contributor) New York State Bar Association, 2011-2112
- Elder Law and Will Drafting, (contributor) New York State Bar Association, 2010-2011
- “Family Health Care Decisions Act and Article 17A: Decision Making for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities or Mental Retardation,” Elder Law Attorney, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 20, No. 4, Fall 2010
- Vice Chair, Special Needs Planning Committee of the Elder Law and Special Needs Section of NYSBA, 2018-2021
- New York State Bar Association
- Elder Law Section
- Elder Law and Special Needs Law Journal Editorial Board
- Trusts and Estates Section
- Young Lawyers Section