After beginning his career as a federal law clerk, John M. Bowens was appointed an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey. He later transferred to the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section of the U.S. Department of Justice where he served as a Special Attorney with Boston and Los Angeles Organized Crime Strike Forces. He tried numerous cases in New Jersey, Massachusetts and California, and handled a variety of appeals to federal circuit courts. John has also lectured at the Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute on a variety of subjects. Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Trial Attorney, John formerly served on the Statewide Ethics Committee.
He has also been repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the fields of business litigation and insurance law. In addition to his active trial and appellate practice, he has provided insurance and risk management advice to a variety of public and commercial clients.
John has been named a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fewer than 100 lawyers in the State of New Jersey are distinguished with this honor. He has been named as one of New Jersey’s Best Lawyers by Inside New Jersey magazine. John has been consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America © ** in the field of Insurance Law.
John has served on the Supreme Court Committees on Attorney Trial Certification and the Rules of Evidence. He served as an adjunct professor at Fairleigh Dickinson University, where he taught environmental law and civil procedure.
- Recipient, 2020 New Jersey Law Journal Professional Excellence Award, recognition as a mentor
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney since 1993
- Recognized repeatedly by New Jersey Monthly magazine as one of New Jersey’s “Super Lawyers” * in Business Litigation
- Recognized twice for Outstanding Achievement as a Prosecutor by the Attorney General
- Named as one of the best lawyers in the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) and in the nation by New York magazine
- Selected to serve on Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute faculty (Washington, DC)
- Named as one of America’s Most Honored Professionals
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary (2002)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® in Insurance Law, The American Lawyer magazine (2012-2021)
- Author, "Accommodations of Religion in the Workplace", New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 2014
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, invitation-only trial lawyer honor society
- District X Ethics Committee 2013-2015
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony T. Augelli, United States District Judge
- Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey
- Special Attorney, Organized Crime and Racketeering Section of the Criminal Division of the United States Department of Justice
- Adjunct Professor, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Environmental Law and Civil Procedure
- Supreme Court Committees on Attorney Trial Certification, and the Rules of Evidence
- Honorary member of the Morris County Chiefs of Police Association
- Past Chairman of the Morris County St. Patrick's Day Parade Finance Committee