After beginning his career as a federal law clerk, John M. Bowens was appointed an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey. He later transferred to the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section of the U.S. Department of Justice where he served as a Special Attorney with Boston and Los Angeles Organized Crime Strike Forces. He tried numerous cases in New Jersey, Massachusetts and California, and handled a variety of appeals to federal circuit courts. John has also lectured at the Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute on a variety of subjects. Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Trial Attorney, John formerly served on the Statewide Ethics Committee.
He has also been repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, published by Thomson Reuters, in the fields of business litigation and insurance law. In addition to his active trial and appellate practice, he has provided insurance and risk management advice to a variety of public and commercial clients.
John has been named a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fewer than 100 lawyers in the State of New Jersey are distinguished with this honor. John has been consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America © * in the field of Insurance Law.
John has served on the Supreme Court Committees on Attorney Trial Certification and the Rules of Evidence. He served as an adjunct professor at Fairleigh Dickinson University, where he taught environmental law and civil procedure.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. Click here for awards information and methodology.
- Aug 13, 2015NJ Supreme Court Denies the Expansion of the Application of Strict Liability
- Mar 5, 2013Review of Real Property Tax Assessments Following Hurricane Sandy
- Feb 21, 2013Most Hurricane Sandy Flood Payouts Paid on a Depreciated Basis
- Jan 7, 2013Prompt Disposition of Claims
- Jan 6, 2013Adjustment of First-Party Claims Post-Sandy
- Jan 4, 2013Concurrent Causation - Efficient Proximate Cause
- Jan 3, 2013Business Interruption
- Jan 2, 2013Hurricane Sandy - Deductibles
- Jan 1, 2013Mold Claims
- Jun 19, 2012Breach of Computer Security
- Jun 18, 2012Cyber Risks and Insurance Issues
- August 17, 2023Nineteen Schenck Price Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- Aug 18, 202110 Schenck Price Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers List; 4 to the List of "Ones to Watch"
- Aug 19, 20219 Schenck Price Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers List; 5 to the List of "Ones to Watch"
- Sep 21, 2020Bowens Recognized for his Role as a Mentor
- Aug 20, 2020The Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Jun 4, 2020New Jersey Law Journal 2020 Professional Excellence Awards
- Nov 7, 2019John D. McCarthy Honored by Irish Business Association
- Aug 16, 2019Four Schenck Price Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Aug 31, 2018Three SPSK Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Aug 15, 2017Three SPSK Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Oct 16, 2016Morris County's Grants to Churches Under Judicial Microscope
- Aug 26, 20163 SPSK Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Aug 13, 2015SPSK's Appellate and Environmental and Real Estate Practice Groups Successfully Defend Insurer Against a Direct Action Suit
- Sep 17, 2014Two SPSK Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America®
- Aug 18, 2014John M. Bowens Selected For Inclusion in the Best Lawyers In America® 2014
- Jul 1, 2013SPSK's Appellate and Construction Practice Groups win significant victory.
- Mar 27, 2012SPSK Successfully Obtains Dismissal of Claims in Federal Lawsuit Against Supreme Court of New Jersey and its Advisory Committee
- Nov 18, 2009Employment Litigation - Cicchetti v. Morris County Sheriff's Office
- Recipient, 2020 New Jersey Law Journal Professional Excellence Award, recognition as a mentor*
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney since 1993
- Selected repeatedly to New Jersey’s “Super Lawyers”* list in Business Litigation, published by Thomson Reuters
- Recognized twice for Outstanding Achievement as a Prosecutor by the Attorney General
- Selected to serve on Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute faculty (Washington, DC)
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
- Included on the list of The Best Lawyers America® in the field of Insurance Law (2012-2024)*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here for awards information and methodology.
- Author, "Accommodations of Religion in the Workplace", New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 2014
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, invitation-only trial lawyer honor society
- District X Ethics Committee 2013-2015
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony T. Augelli, United States District Judge
- Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey
- Special Attorney, Organized Crime and Racketeering Section of the Criminal Division of the United States Department of Justice
- Adjunct Professor, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Environmental Law and Civil Procedure
- Supreme Court Committees on Attorney Trial Certification, and the Rules of Evidence
- Honorary member of the Morris County Chiefs of Police Association
- Past Chairman of the Morris County St. Patrick's Day Parade Finance Committee