Gilbert S. Leeds co-chairs Schenck Price’s Insurance Defense and Products Liability Practice Groups. Gil has also been included on the roster of court-appointed mediators through the Administrative Office of the Courts. He serves as National Coordinating Counsel for an insurance company in construction defect cases, coordinating all local counsel in defense of major construction litigation nationwide.
In professional liability suits, Gil defends insurance agents and brokers, attorneys, physicians and other medical personnel. Gil's caseload also includes substantial insurance defense, professional E&O claims and employment defense matters for Westport Insurance, Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual, Franklin Mutual, Farmers Mutual, The Hartford, Amtrust, Markel, Scirocco Financial Group and many private clients.
His product liability clients have included such commercial and home appliance and equipment manufacturers as Raytheon, Electrolux, Amana, Frigidaire, Tappan, Murray of Ohio and Cavagna North America, for which Gil has served as national coordinating counsel.
Gil also handles public entity defense and has represented the State of New Jersey in defense of many tort, employment and false arrest cases.
Gil chaired the Firm’s Litigation Department for 25 years. He has been selected every year since 2005 to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine.
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney for 30 years
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the fields of Civil Litigation Defense and Professional Liability Defense
- Regularly speaks before the Independent Insurance Agents of New Jersey on professional liability and other related litigation issues
- Given ICLE presentations on topics including product liability, insurance agent liability and legal malpractice
- Presentations before the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), including “Hot Topics in Product Liability,” August 2009
- Moderator for “Recent Developments in New Jersey Law,” August 2010
- Published articles in the New Jersey Law Journal, including “Claims Against Insurance Producers on the Rise,” “Spoliation of Evidence, a Trump Card for Manufacturers,” “Discovering and Preserving Electronic Evidence,” and “The Innocent Retailer”
- Published monograph on spoliation of evidence doctrine for the Chemical and Industrial Manufacturers Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Section on Litigation
- Chair, Morris County Bar Association — Arbitration Selection Committee
- Member, Morris County Bar Association Civil Practice Committee
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI), the leading organization of defense attorneys and in-house counsel (Product Liability Section and Professional Liability Committee)
- Member, Board of Directors, Montclair YMCA
- Member, New Jersey Intergenerational Orchestra
- Homeless Volunteer for MESH
- Former Board Member and Chairman of the Board of Directors, Morris County Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Former Member, Board of Adjustment of Randolph Township
- Former Member, Corporation of the United Way
- Former Member, Morris County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Former Member, Randolph Soccer Club
- Obtained dismissal of class action “blast fax” case on behalf of wellness company in which class action plaintiffs sought $78 million in damages
- Defense verdicts in favor of client manufacturers in numerous jury trials, including manufacturers of outdoor power equipment and household appliances
- Successful defense of trade association of insurance agents in a case in which several agents were found responsible for a $9.1 million judgment. Represented trade association as a “friend of the court” on successful appeal resulting in complete dismissal of case against agents
- Successful defense of insurance agent in case in which plaintiff claimed client responsible for approximately $1 million for claimed failure to offer insurance coverage for accident. Obtained case dismissal at trial level which both Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court affirmed
- Successful defense of defendant physician in medical malpractice case in which plaintiff lost three limbs as the result of an infection. Obtained case dismissal on motion before trial court and case affirmed on appeal
- Representing a mid-sized New Jersey law firm in defense of a New York legal malpractice action, obtained numerous successful decisions from the Trial Court, the First Department and New York's Court of Appeals