Practice Group Details
Schenck, Price, Smith & King has extensive experience in virtually all types of insurance defense work. With decades of experience in the courtroom, our attorneys have tried hundreds of cases. Five are certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Civil Trial Attorneys.
SPSK represents insurance carriers, third-party administrators and self-insured funds. The Firm has represented many mutual insurance companies as well. We also represent municipalities and other public entities in insurance matters. We have had long relationships with dozens of carriers, including ADP Statewide, AIG Centennial, American Millennium, Franklin Mutual, Greater New York Mutual, Hiscox, Liberty Mutual, Maxum, New Jersey Manufacturers, Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual, Philadelphia Insurance, PURE, Scottsdale, State Farm, Statewide, Swiss/Re/Westport, The Hartford and Travelers.
Our attorneys regularly appear before judges in virtually all New Jersey counties, both in state court and the federal district court. We have dealt extensively with the plaintiff’s bar, which allows us to strategize to achieve the best results for our clients.
Our practice group provides clients prompt information-gathering and early case evaluation. Clients do not like surprises, so we tailor our reporting to what they require, what they need to know and when they need to know it. Early on, we analyze each matter and communicate our evaluation to the client. The attorneys prepare clear, concise reports on all significant developments, and provide clients with realistic assessments on settlement value, degree of exposure and likelihood of success at trial.
Since cases vary in terms of size, complexity, defense strategy and degree of exposure, we tailor our efforts to the particular facts and circumstances of each case.
SPSK’s attorneys are prepared to litigate aggressively to pursue our clients’ best interests, but we also recognize the value of resolving matters favorably at a low cost. The Insurance Defense group has experience with various types of Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) and will explore all appropriate means to resolve matters consistent with the client’s objectives.
Areas of Practice
- Defense of general liability claims, including personal injury, property and all other damage claims
- Professional liability claims, including physicians, attorneys, insurance agents and brokers, engineers, accountants, veterinarians and educators
- Employment claims
- Construction litigation
- Slip and falls
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability suits
- Social host liability and dram shop claims
- Fire and other casualty losses
- Products liability suits
- Environmental suits
- Insurance coverage
- Mass torts
- Public entity defense
- Successfully defended a trade association of insurance agents in a case in which a jury found several agents responsible for a $9.1 million judgment. The Appellate Division reversed the jury verdict and dismissed the case against the agents.
- Served as National Coordinating Counsel for an insurance company in construction defect cases, coordinating all local counsel in defense of major construction litigation nationwide.
- Successfully defended insurance agent in a case in which the plaintiff claimed our client was responsible for approximately $1 million for claimed failure to offer insurance coverage for the accident. We obtained a dismissal at the trial level, which was affirmed by both the Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Defense verdict on CEPA whistleblower case on behalf of a municipality.