Richard J. Conway Jr. Partner
Before becoming a lawyer, Richard J. Conway, Jr. was a branch manager and lending officer of a major New Jersey bank. Mr. Conway currently co-chairs the Environmental and Real Estate Practice Group. In his practice areas of environmental, real estate and business law, his industry focus includes buyers and sellers of assets and shares and municipal land use applications; banks and borrowers in loans and other matters; lenders, landlords, tenants and applicants in municipal land use applications; experts and consultants (drafting of permit applications, sampling and cleanup plans); local, state and federal agencies (within and outside of New Jersey).
Over the past 30 years Mr. Conway has authored and developed diverse articles and presentations. He has also spoken to a wide range of audiences at many different seminars, meetings and courses. In addition to those already mentioned on this page, topics have included the New Jersey Environmental Cleanup Responsibility Act, environmental enforcement, other environmental laws and their impact on business planning, environmental restrictions and classification exception areas, reporting and disclosure obligations, brownfields, and underground storage tank issues.
Early in his career, he was a law clerk for Judge W. Dreier, New Jersey Superior Court (PJAD, retired) and Justice Coleman, New Jersey Supreme Court, (retired) then Law & Chancery Divisions, Union & Mercer Counties, New Jersey (1979-1980).
Areas of Concentration
- Detailed familiarity with state and federal environmental laws, compliance processes and applicability, particularly with regard to New Jersey’s Site Remediation Reform Act (SRRA) and Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA), formerly the Environmental Cleanup Responsibility Act (ECRA).
- Extensive transactional and counseling experience in a wide range of corporate, business and real estate transactions (including for brownfields) representing operating entities, sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants, trustees and lenders, including in workouts and foreclosures.
- Assists present and former owners, operators, managers, officers, directors, partners, members and shareholders in assessing and managing their present and contingent liabilities and concerns.
- Assists litigators in the preparation for, assertion of, and defense against, environmental claims. Regularly works with and/or supervises licensed site remediation professionals (LSRPs), experts and consultants and their recommendations for, and drafting of, assessments, investigation and remediation plans and reports, permit applications, and audits.
- Regularly negotiates with third parties and local, state and federal agencies, both within and outside of New Jersey, to achieve client goals.
- Handles a wide range of environmental compliance and permitting issues, including child care centers, schools, hospitals, Highlands, wetlands, Coastal Area Facility Review Act (CAFRA), dams, spills, lender/fiduciary and individual liability, Superfund/Spill Act, waste management/recycling, facility siting, development and construction projects, energy projects (conventional, cogeneration, and alternative), Clean Air Act, NJPDES (water), multi-media audit programs, enforcement (notices of violation) and defense and settlement (including under natural resource damages [NRD] programs).
- Testified in 1992 & 1993 before the New Jersey State Senate and Assembly on amendments to ECRA/ISRA and The Spill Act
- Testified in 1993 as a litigation expert on real estate and environmental issues
* For more information about the Super Lawyers selection process, please go to:
No aspect of this advertising has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court