Joseph R. Haftek Jr. Counsel
Joseph R. Haftek, Jr. joined Schenck, Price, Smith & King in 2014 and has represented developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, construction professionals, design professionals and businesses in both state and federal courts. In addition to being a member of the Firm's Construction Law Practice Group, he is a member of the School Law Practice Group. He was recognized in 2016 and 2017 by New Jersey Monthly magazine as one of New Jersey's "Super Lawyers" for Construction Litigation and in 2014 as "Rising Star, Super Lawyers" for Construction Litigation. Mr. Haftek's knowledge and experience have also been recognized with opportunities as a lecturer to both lawyers and construction industry professionals on topics ranging from construction contracts to public bidding and bid protests.
Since entering private practice in 2005, Mr. Haftek has focused on developing his construction law practice. He has experience in handling all aspects of litigation, including prosecution and defense of bid protests, affirmative and construction lien claims; negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts; collection services; public and school bid protest and contract law issues; and, providing general legal advice and guidance for each phase of the construction process. He is consulting counsel to a number of construction companies, in particular several construction material suppliers.
In addition, as the son and brother of contractors, Mr. Haftek has grown up in and around the construction industry and understands the specific needs of today's construction practitioner. Prior to attending law school, he worked as a laborer, operator and supervisor, learning firsthand about day-to-day construction operations. This personal experience compliments his legal experience and allows him to develop valuable, long-term relationships with his clients.
Mr. Haftek also has significant experience in commercial litigation matters.
Areas of Concentration
Construction (Contract Disputes, Bid Protests, School Construction, Lien Laws, Collections, Consumer Fraud, Construction Defects, Surety Law, Delay Claims and Extra Work Claims), Business, Insurance and Appellate Litigation
- Represented a general contractor on a lien foreclosure matter with a $1,600,000.00 defect counterclaim asserted by the commercial owner. Prevailed at arbitration and obtained a six figure award for the firm's client.
- Represented a general contractor on a multi-million dollar public project regarding withheld retainage and alleged defects. Handled the matter through litigation and subsequent arbitration, and prevailed with the client awarded six figures in compensation.
- Argued before the New Jersey Appellate Division on a high profile bid protest matter in Passaic County that was covered by the local media.
- Successfully tried several cases to a jury verdict.
* For more information about the Super Lawyers selection process, please go to:
No aspect of this advertising has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court