John D. mcCarthy Partner
John D. McCarthy joined the Firm in 2001. His practice includes labor and employment counseling and litigation, criminal law, commercial litigation, insurance defense and coverage, education matters and personal injury. He regularly represents law enforcement in a variety of matters, including investigations, false arrest, malicious prosecution, and labor matters.
Mr. McCarthy has tried numerous cases in the criminal and civil parts of the Law Division and the Chancery Division. He also practices and tries cases in municipal courts throughout the state.
Prior to joining the Firm, he was an associate in the Newark office of an international law firm from 1999 through 2001 and an Assistant Prosecutor with the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office from 1995 through 1999. He served a judicial clerkship with the late Honorable James T. O’Halloran of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Criminal Part, during the 1994-1995 court term.
Areas of Concentration
Labor and employment counseling and litigation, criminal defense, commercial litigation, school law, insurance defense and coverage, Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS) litigation, personal injury
- Successfully tried numerous civil and criminal jury and bench trials
- Counseled police and fire unions regarding changes to pension and benefit laws
- Litigated grievances with Public Employment Relations Commission regarding deprivation of retirement health benefits
- Represented police officers in investigations regarding the use of force
- Successfully argued motions pertaining to school law in state and federal court
- Counseled clients facing charges from DYFS; tried DYFS cases to conclusion, resulting in dismissal of all charges