Gilbert S. Leeds co-chairs Schenck, Price, Smith & King’s Insurance Defense & Products Liability practice group. Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney, Mr. Leeds has also been included on the roster of court-appointed mediators through the Administrative Office of the Courts. He serves as National Coordinating Counsel for an insurance company in construction defect cases, coordinating all local counsel in defense of major construction litigation nationwide.
In professional liability suits, he defends insurance agents and brokers, attorneys, physicians, and other medical personnel. Mr. Leeds’ caseload also includes substantial insurance defense, professional E & O claims and employment defense matters for Westport Insurance, Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual, Franklin Mutual, Farmers Mutual, The Hartford, Amtrust, Scirocco Financial Group, and many private clients.
His product liability clients have included such commercial and home appliance and equipment manufacturers as Raytheon, Electrolux, Amana, Frigidaire, Tappan, Murray of Ohio, and Cavagna North America, for which Mr. Leeds has served as national coordinating counsel.
Mr. Leeds also handles public entity defense and represents the State of New Jersey in defense of many tort, employment and false arrest cases.
Mr. Leeds chaired the Firm’s Litigation Department for 25 years. He has been selected every year since 2005 to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine.
Areas of Concentration
Professional liability defense, product liability defense, insurance defense, employment law, public entity defense, and commercial litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of class action “blast fax” case on behalf of wellness company in which class action plaintiffs sought $78 million in damages.
- Defense verdicts in favor of client manufacturers in numerous jury trials, including manufacturers of outdoor power equipment and household appliances.
- Successful defense of trade association of insurance agents in a case in which several agents were found responsible for a $9.1 million judgment. Represented trade association as a “friend of the court” on successful appeal resulting in complete dismissal of case against agents.
- Successful defense of insurance agent in case in which plaintiff claimed client responsible for approximately $1 million for claimed failure to offer insurance coverage for accident. Obtained case dismissal at trial level which both Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court affirmed.
- Successful defense of defendant physician in medical malpractice case in which plaintiff lost three limbs as the result of an infection. Obtained case dismissal on motion before trial court and case affirmed on appeal.
- Representing a mid-sized New Jersey law firm in defense of a New York legal malpractice action, obtained numerous successful decisions from the Trial Court, the First Department and New York's Court of Appeals.
* The Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists are issued by
Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology
can be found at Super Lawyers Selection Process. No aspect of
this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.